Pages

DIY CRATE WOOD PLAYHOUSE - PART 1: THE PLATFORM

11.04.2015


If you're a follower of my blog, then you know we/Jordan/we (hey, I helped!) built Adelaide a playhouse for her second birthday. Because Jordan had access to free crate wood, we decided to build the playhouse out of as much of that as possible. We did, however, buy wood for the frame, as a lot of the pallet wood was, let's just say less than straight, as well as a few other pieces here and there. The crate wood worked out great for many parts of the project, but it just wasn't ideal for other parts. All in all, we were able to use crate wood as well as a few reclaimed pieces for about half of the project, and spent about $120 on the remaining wood needed. So, I thought I would share with you guys how we did it. Unfortunately I don't have specifics, as Jordan did much of the work while I entertained Adelaide. But I do have lots of photos that could probably be deciphered by someone with moderate knowledge. So, hope this is helpful to someone!

This is what the crates looked like:


Over the course of about 3 days, Jordan broke down 6 crates. It was not any version of quick or easy. 



On to the platform... Jordan decided to use landscaping timbers for the posts, as
they were far more affordable than any other options. Because of the rounded edge on them, he used the table saw to cut down two sides to get a 90 degree angle to work off of.

         

Then it was time to get the posts in the ground. Holes were dug and one bag per hole of Quikrete was poured around each post.


Next it was time to frame out the edges of the platform. Here's where we should've done things a bit differently. We had the platform framed out to be perfectly level. I pointed out (a little too late) that maybe we should've sloped it slightly for drainage purposes (by too late, I think it was sometime after the house was already framed... whoopsie-daisy). We've already been dealing with water running in through the doorway, so don't make our mistake! Slope the platform ever so slightly down toward the front.


Once the frame was complete, it was time to trim off the excess from each post.


Here's a little peek at what the girls were doing while Jordan was hard at work.


Now it's time to add the braces across the platform. These are what the decking will be nailed to.



Now the decking. Here's where some money was spent. One piece of the plywood was given to us by Jordan's dad, the other we bought.



Time for the jump test...

   

...and quality time with Daddy and Bowser as things wind down for the day.

     

P.S. Please pardon the formatting issues. I am officially tired of fruitlessly trying to rectify them. :/

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Adelaide seems to be enjoying it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Adelaide seems to be enjoying it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS